Top Benefits of Memory Care for Aging Adults
When the responsibilities of being a sole caregiver to a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia become too much, it’s time to consider other alternatives. Memory care is a form of residential long-term care uniquely designed to provide specialized support and care for individuals living with memory impairment.
Since specialized memory care is part of many full-service senior living communities and is available at stand-alone facilities, you have some options to consider. Memory care is unique from other types of senior care such as assisted living, skilled nursing or rehabilitation.
Memory care provides:
- A dementia-specific trained staff
- Memory-enhancing therapies and services
- A highly secure environment
When starting your research on the benefits of memory care communities, you will see how these communities provide for individuals with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia.
Below are just a few of the most notable benefits of memory care that can help improve the quality of life for your loved one and provide you with the peace of mind you need to make this significant decision:
- Safety and support – Safety and security are major concerns for individuals living with Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia. Memory care neighborhoods within full-service senior living communities are expertly designed to provide 24/7 safety and support. Your loved one will benefit from multiple daily check-ins, secure entrances, enclosed patios and access to highly qualified staff members around the clock.
- Life-enriching activities – Memory care communities offer specialized programming and services to keep your loved one engaged, stimulated and challenged. Instead of focusing on what’s been lost due to dementia, they provide activities and therapies that focus on what remains. Examples include baking, gardening, massage, music therapy and more.
- Services provided by licensed caregivers – Specialized memory care neighborhoods offer trained staff and nurses on-site. Memory care facilities’ main goal is to provide all dementia patients with dignity as their symptoms progress and their quality of life declines. By addressing the condition personally, specialized memory care can help prevent depression and allow patients to live as peacefully as possible.
- Socialization – Another benefit of memory care is that it provides much-needed socialization for your family member with Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia. Through planned activities, homelike settings and communal areas, residents have the opportunity to create meaningful connections with other residents and staff members.
- Personalized approach to care – Another benefit of memory care is that care is personalized to each individual. The specially trained staff knows how to work with patients to help prevent them from feeling alone, depressed or upset as the disease progresses. Care plans and resources within a memory care neighborhood can be designed to fit the exact needs of your loved one and can be adjusted as their needs change over time.
While memory care for your loved one is important, there are also a few benefits for you as a caregiver. While you’ll still have the chance to be heavily involved in your family member’s care planning, you can take a back seat from day-to-day responsibilities. This will help relieve some stress on you and give you a chance to spend quality time with your loved one, enjoying meals, playing games, reading books and making memories.
Explore the Benefits of Monticello West Senior Living Community
At Monticello West, we are more than just a senior living community — we’re a place to call home. Our community offers a cozy quality that’s just not found in newer, larger communities — and that never goes out of style.
With Monticello West’s caring team, there are always friendly, familiar faces that allow memory care residents to relax and make themselves comfortable. You’ll have peace of mind knowing your loved one will continue to enjoy the highest quality of life through highly specialized, innovative memory care and support available at Monticello West.